Wednesday, May 18, 2011

AIDS Attacks

For those of you not familiar with my "AIDS Attacks" ( TeenAIDS signature brand of street outreach), let me explain. I initially developed the technique while at Harvard. I knew it was important to grab teen's attention with the HIV prevention message on their turf. Classroom lectures by gum and health teachers were for the most part deadly bores. A key marketing strategy is to "start conversations or buzz" about a product of service - and that is what AIDS Attacks are designed to do.

As I walk down the street and I spot teens young college-age students, even working youth, I zero in on them. I go up to them, smile and say, "Excuse me, but I am Dr. John and I have important information that can save your vest friend's life." We shake hands, I ask their names and give them on of my business cards printed in their languages. Then I launch into my simple message: "AIDS is a huge risk for all teens because you can't see it. But it is there and can be transmitted sexually among other ways." Most teens are very fascinated that an older guy with white hair and a loud Hawaiian shirt is taking tine to come and talk to them.

Ironically, I first put these in practice in late 1992 when I first visited the Dominican Republic (as part of my doctoral research). It worked well on the streets because it was immediate and gives a sense of urgency. Using my rudimentary street Spanish I have always been able to get the basic message across that is supplemented by the information on the back of my business cards. 18 years ago when I first worked in the Dominican Republic I visited the very tough neighborhoods of Guachupita. I had meet teen street boys who brought me there and introduced me to their gang leader. Because there was not much education available to the poor (and most youth were not attending school) the leader thought that the information was important enough for hin to be my guide. I was a bit uneasy that he had a gun, but he just laugh and said "no problema", since then this technique has been effective on every continent and in 84 countries.

On Thursday May 19, we will once again be visiting Guachupita under the hospices of Lino Artro Castro head of La Red de Jovenes Unidos de Guachupita

Dr. John

No comments:

Post a Comment