Thursday, May 19, 2011

Day 3 - Wednesday

Another busy day! We were interviewed for a story by "El Dia," one of the leading newspapers in the Capital. The director of the paper, Rafael Molina met with us and assigned one of his "top" reporters Senabri Sylvestre to write the story (publishing in a few days).

We did outreach at Universidad Autonoma de Santo Domingo (UASD), the oldest university here. We first talked with hundreds of students on the steps and lawns of its modern Library. Many expressed surprise that we wanted to talk with them about AIDS. Because I do not want to appear that I am talking down to them about a subject that they might not know much about, I always start off by saying (in my broken but passable Spanish), "I know you know everything about AIDS. I know you are very intelligent - but I am worried about your younger brothers and sisters, teen cousins and young friends. They do not understand the consequences of VIH/SIDA (HIV/AIDS). I believe you must talk to them before a life-threatening mistake is made. Here is my business card with important information on the back."

While I am talking, I see them begin to nod their heads and murmur "Si." They often ask questions - especially about the current risks. I tell them the latest UNAIDS statistics (50% of all new cases of HIV in the world occur among 12-24 year olds). They are usually shocked! At the same time, Samantha is passing out our business cards printed in Spanish (she is also a very convincing speaker and gets them engaged). Maryna talks too but she is often busy videotaping these AIDS Attacks for YouTube and taking stills for Facebook, our website and postcards to donors and supporters. They are amazed that we are all volunteers and do not get paid to do this work. Today, we invited three students to think about volunteering with us in the next few days. I'll keep you informed on who joins us.

I also ask what they are studying because I want to use that personal information in my wrap up to our discussion. They all like talking about themselves and their future dreams as successful adults (too many older people carry on one-way conversations, talk down to young people and rarely ASK for their opinions). Before I walk on to the next group, I look each one in the eye as I shake their hands a final time and say, "You are a good person. You can help us save the life of someone you love from SIDA. Please talk to your young friends. You will have a great career in (Civil Engineering, Medicine, Business, Law, Languages, Accounting, etc.) - but if you get AIDS, it will seriously complicate your future plans. Buena Suerte en su Vida!"

By this point, they are all smiling and saying thank you and giving us the Obama bump (tight fists, nudging knuckles to knuckles for those of you over 40). But you don't have to take my word for it; you can see the video and judge the reactions for yourself. This kind of interactive street outreach is my professional expertise that I have personally tested on six continents and in 84 countries to date. No similar program exists in the HIV education field.  I train AIDS workers how to replicate the method in their own communities... but it takes some chutzpah. I want to empower as many youth as I can to spread this important message exponentially before it is too late for a vulnerable generation of maturing adolescents.

I use plenty of humor during my AIDS Attacks to break the ice. I love to laugh and see others laugh too. I always look directly into their eyes so they know I am talking to each of them individually and I put extra effort into any encounter where a young person seems disinterested, aloof or determined not to acknowledge a stranger's appeal. To me, it is a worthy challenge.  Rarely, if ever, do I leave without getting them involved and be part of the conversation. In fact, some of my best volunteers have come from these experiences!

One of my former TeenAIDS Board members and our ex-President Bink Garrison, explained to me the marketing strategy of "starting conversations" for s an all-important  concept in selling. That's what AIDS Attacks are designed to do. TeenAIDS is in the business of starting meaningful conversations about this avoidable danger. With no vaccine for HIV and no cure for AIDS, only proven and effective prevention education works. Whenever young people hear the message and tell a friend, the all important HIV prevention news gets published by word of mouth, Facebook, YouTube or via any and all social media.









No comments:

Post a Comment